Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Torah Means... to Stephen Gross

Counting the Omer Day 26

Stephen Gross

Many might agree that I am a strong advocate for the Jews as a nation and Israel. I spent many years with Young Judea and experienced the Summer Course program and the Year Course program in Israel. I also spent summers both in Tel Yehuda, New York and Camp Judea in North Carolina. I worked in Kibbutz Ketura in the Arava -irrigating the sand dunes and altering forever our border with Jordan. As well as at Kibbutz Palmachim along the Mediterranean coast. I remember spear fishing at night with Carmel . His father fought the Germans in the Desert Rats Brigade. I was a Zionist. I was in love with the pioneer spirit of the Jews in Israel and wanted to partake in the defense of Israel in my lifetime.

I went through a Gadna military program in the Galilee and discovered the love of the Golan Heights and the no retreat creed of the Golani 12th Brigade during the Tel Faher battle in 1967. I then made Aliya and received orders to go to the Bakum military base. I was a Chayal Boded or Island soldier. No family in the country. I was entitled to triple the pay though, which did not amount to much. A couple of cold beers with my friends and one phone call a year to my parents. I had to undergo a Gibush or demonstration program for my abilities , and after this- as well as threatening them with throwing me in jail- I was selected for my coveted Golani-12th Brigade. I then was sent to the West Bank base of Bezek near Jenin and went through living hell. I was a Magist, a heavy attack infantry gunner laden with a 7.62 belt fed machine gun. I had to make my own stuff and we often had to steal for supplies as well. The commanders would try to sneak up and put a knife to the throat if we fell asleep during guard duty. We slept with our guns tucked in our sleeping bags, lest they try to take that as well. I was chosen Chayal Plugati- best soldier in the company. I was warned not to be friar. It was so hot that we often had to take off our shirts to put out the fires from our bullets. I was assigned to be the platoon leader of misfits and criminals- evolving into a 12 man bunch worth dying for. We almost lost one guy-my good friend Bini, the Bedoin, shot in the stomach. I visited him in Afula Hospital, whispering in his ear and he squeezed my hand. I knew he would live. We were respected in Israel and Lebanon and we ruled over the Paratroopers and the Givati as well. My officers were Avi and Rafi Ben David and if I was alongside them, I knew I couldn't be killed. We went into Lebanon for a year and we looked for terrorists. I did all of my patrols with a Met hat on-believe it or not-even being confronted by a general near Marjayoun. I waved him by with my Mag and he felt secure that the state of Israel behind me was safe for now. I saw southern Lebanon and I experienced the SLA, the Amal, the Phalangists, and we needed to get out of there. My officer made the women sit down when we marched by, lest one of them threw a grenade hidden in their baskets. It made me feel horrible. The terrorists were quiet-as they should be while the Golani was on the Kav. My good buddy Gimbel in the Nachal personally wiped out a contingent in 1987. I was asked to go to course Kizinim, officer training, but I took a different path.

Well I did my part and now its someone else turn to do the Kav. You might now know why I am passionate about defending the Jewish nation. You also might now know why I am a bit antisocial. But I will tell you one thing for sure. The Torah- our Torah- is one of the symbols of the Jewish nation and I would die defending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment