Friday, April 2, 2010

What Torah Means... to Alan Siegel

Counting the Omer Day 4

I incorporate the Torah into much of my artwork. Actually, it's more like the Torah incorporates itself into my work. For me, it symbolizes Judaism itself and is the common bond of the Jewish People everywhere in the world for thousands of years. I also view it as a great historical document which changed the world, and brought ethical law to mankind. Though I regard much of it as outdated, such as animal sacrifice, and Genesis as historical allegory, it is still the root from which Judaism has grown, and we must continue to study it, interpret it, and carry it forward to the next generation. Since it contains 613 commandments and we can barely get 10 of them right, I think the Torah will be of value for a very long time to come. Keep on rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment