Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What Torah Means... to Dave Cohen

Counting the Omer Day 16

Like most Jews, my first exposure to the Torah was in preparation for my Bar Mitzvah. Luckier than most, as a twin, I only needed to learn half a haftorah, or, as I liked to think of it, one full quartertorah. Even though it was less than most people had to learn, I still struggled with it as I see my children struggle with it. As the day of our Bnai Mitzvah got closer, the sense of panic I had changed to a sense of calm confidence. When the actual day arrived, I pulled it off flawlessly. I aced it!

That "panic to confidence" is the one thing that I took away from my Bar Mitzvah experience. It was the first time that I was actually in control of the outcome of something. It's a sense of accomplishment that happened many more times since. But that was the first. Being called to the Torah was a turning point for me as it is for anyone that has the honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment