Friday, April 16, 2010

What Torah Means... to Linda Nakagawa

Counting the Omer Day 18

I'm sixteen years old, just a child in the eyes of today's society but in the Jewish religion, I'm an adult! Now trust me, I don't study Torah that often. But during NFTY (North American Federation of Temple Youth) events, we partake in Torah study on Saturday mornings and we dissect that week's portion. Although the Torah was written in ancient times and some of the things are out of date, many of the teachings can be related to things that are happening NOW. After Torah study discussions at NFTY, and even confirmation classes last year with the Rabbi, I'm beginning to understand more about the Torah's teachings and the invaluable lessons that are taught from.

Merriam-Webster defines the Torah as, "the body of wisdom and law contained in Jewish Scripture and other sacred literature and oral tradition". To a seventh grader, the Torah is this ancient scroll filled with complicated Hebrew words, a portion of which they must learn to read and chant. The Social Studies curriculum of a sixth grade student simply states that the Torah is a scroll containing the five books of Moses. Every person has their own interpretation of what the Torah really is. To me right now at this very moment, the Torah is this ancient, beautiful scroll that tells the story of the Jews. But the Torah is also what brings millions of Jews together. To me, the Torah defines part of who I am, a Jew. I take great pride in my religion and I show it daily with my Star of David, my hamsas, and my NFTY beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment