Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What Torah Means... to Nancy Gross


Counting the Omer Day 23

My Torah "aha moment" came two me recently on two different occassions. Though I always felt a very strong connection to the Torah and my Judaism...it was during a workshop for Gabriel's upcoming Bar Mitzvah and my recent trip to Israel that really connected me, and reminded why I am so proud to be a Jew. I believe that Torah connects us all as Jews and I also believe it is the outline for who we are supposed to be and how we are supposed to act.

During a workshop that Rabbi Freedman did with the B'nai Mitzvah class, he asked the students why they were planning to have a Bar/Bat Mitzvah. He also asked them to talk about the things that they plan to do, or are doing to feel or be more Jewish. After many things were listed on the board...Gabriel whispered in my ear, "Mom, we do all those things...all the time...that is our everyday life." It was a moment when I felt very proud of who we are, our heritage, and our Jewishness. It was true, the many things listed on that list, going to temple, helping the needy and the sick, giving Tzedakah, observing Shabbat, learning Jewish history, are all part of our everyday lives. It is one of the many things that Stephen and I have worked so hard at teaching our kids.....and many times we have heard ourselves saying, "because it is what we do." Many of our family dinners, or long trips in the car are centered on our Jewish traditions, values, and heritage. Our journey to Hannah's Bat Mitzvah began much of this type of discussion....it continued with our aliyah to Israel...and now continues as we begin our journey to Gabriel's Bar Mitzvah.

While in Israel, there were many times when we felt a strong Jewish connection....visiting the Western Wall, visiting all the National Parks, Yad Vashem, walking the streets of the Old City.....and celebrating Shabbat in a city that completely rests, were among the many, many things that we did. But the moment that I felt the strongest connection to my Judaism and to Torah was the first day that were there. Exhausted from the flight but eager to begin our trip, we took a taxi ride to begin the Jerusalem trail. Our guide, Benta, tried to focus her discussion so that the kids could understand, and suddenly as the 7 of us looked out toward Jerusalem, a tear came to my eye. Here I was, in Israel, standing with my family, still elated from the beautiful joy of our daughter Bat Mitzvah, and it was clear...we were were we were supposed to be. It is probably the most memorable moments of my life....and the most special. I had never felt more connected then I did at that moment...and never more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment