Monday, April 19, 2010

What Torah Means... to Sharon Levenstein

Counting the Omer Day 21

Twenty years ago, I chose to convert to Judaism from Protestant. I chose to change everything I grew up believing. Every holiday and many traditions. Needless to say this was not an easy decision to make, but I knew Judaism felt right to me. My first attempt to convert left me confused and in tears. I was told a firm no, and that it will never happen. At that time I did not live in Newburgh and after speaking with many people I was told to go to Temple Beth Jacob. That's what I did and from the first moment, I was welcomed with open arms. I new I was in the right place. I attended classes and then in front of friends and family I became a Jew. Years later and very pregnant, just a few weeks before my due date, I became a Bat Mitzvah. Over the coming years Temple Beth Jacob has been their for my wedding , births of my children and so far two Bat Mitzvahs, with two more to go. So the question is, what does Torah mean to me. It means commitment, family, true friends and my love of Judaism.

No comments:

Post a Comment