Thursday, April 29, 2010

What Torah Means... to Ruth Gruenberg

Counting the Omer Day 31

Every Shabbos evening I have heard the weekly Torah portion read at our Temple...for many years, for 59 years exactly - and still I take something new from hearing the words each week. I think of it as a kind of invisible string betweem the Torah and me.

On Kol Nidre, when the Torahs are gently carried among the people, I feel that string drawing me close.

I remember especially when my husband, Noah, and I went to JFK airport to welcome the beloved Holocaust Torah that now stands proudly in our holy Ark. It was such a powerful moment when the string that was tied around that Torah by the hands of martyrs who were lost in the Holocaust was cut by the hands of one who survived the Holocaust. Noah symbolically set this Torah free again, as we are free to follow that invisible string between the Torah and every Jew.

No comments:

Post a Comment