Monday, April 12, 2010

What Torah Means... to George Levy

Counting the Omer Day 14

I know some people think it hokey. The Rabbi holds the Torah, still wrapped in its cover and during what often looks like an uncomfortable ceremony for the participants, hands the Torah from the oldest generation down to the Bar or Bat Mitzvah child. To me, there is a commandment in the Torah which I have taken most seriously. It is in the V’ahavta. “ …Thou shalt teach it to thy children and speak of it….”

As I look around at our world and see how even our own country is acting towards Israel, I realize the importance of unifying our people to assure that generations from now, the Jewish people will remain a light to the nations. One way to hopefully accomplish that goal is to follow the commandment and teach our children the essence of Torah. Although I love attending our Torah Study sessions on Shabbat morning (and you would love it too if you just joined us once…) I am certainly no Torah scholar. Despite that, I try to bring up something in the Torah portion while speaking with my adult children. It is simply my way of reminding them that this scroll holds wisdom they may never understand completely, but wisdom worth pursuing. I pray they will follow the commandment with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment