Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Torah Means... to Mona Rieger

Counting the Omer Day 10

To me, our Torah is the basis for all civilized behavior in the world. When I used to teach ninth graders, they would giggle when we came to certain commandments prohibiting behaviors that we know today to be unacceptable. It gave me great pleasure to explain to them that--at the time that the Torah was written--these behaviors were common and that it was our people who realized that they led to the breakdown of society and therefore forbid them. Everything we need to know to live a good and moral life is found in the Torah-- even our modern justice system has its foundation in Torah! I take great pride in knowing that I can approach pretty much any situation knowing that what I have learned from my Jewish heritage will help me to find a just and compassionate response.

No comments:

Post a Comment