Thursday, April 1, 2010

What Torah Means... to Nava Herzog

Counting the Omer Day 3

Nava Herzog

I was born in Israel when the country was barely 4 years old. Everything was new and exciting then. Throughout my childhood each holiday was celebrated as if it were the first. I knew pride and a strong sense of belonging. That’s what Torah taught me. My late mother used to tell about the days I rushed home from school to tell her about the Torah lesson I learned. Torah was taught in second grade as history lessons, and I embraced every story. In the afternoons I used to explore the fields near my home in Haifa, looking for my beloved wildflowers. I especially enjoyed walking barefoot, feeling the cool earth beneath my feet. Somehow, my young heart understood the connection between the ancient stories I heard in class and the very earth my feet touched. Torah still provides that connection for me. It allows me to understand the correlation between my history and my future. And it is my present, as fresh and invigorating as the rain nourished soil between my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment