Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Today is 22

Whoops! So many things going on last night that I missed adding in the Omer counting. But never fear. Today is the 22 day of the counting of the Omer, that is three weeks and one day.

What was going on last night? NFA had a wonderful dance and movement presentation. May I just say that my son has creative vision and a bit of the divo attitude that gets things done. I was duly impressed.

BUT before that, I was with a very nice crowd that came out to celebrate Israel's Independence at TBJ. Talk about community!

I've been chatting with a rabbinic classmate who shares the view that Israel's independence is as worthy to celebrate as Canada's and by that she means, not much. That's a shame but not unusual as our connection to Israel is lessening for many reasons not the least of which is that our place in America is strong and Israel's place in the world is strong so we don't worry about it. Still, while I do appreciate Canada for many reasons, Israel is a place of cultural inspiration, religious connection and political strength for Jews around the world. We should not under estimate how it important it still is to us. That is why you must, if you have never done so, make a plan to visit. You have got to see what is going on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment