Thursday, April 21, 2011

What TBJ means to Gail Oliver

Day 3 of counting the Omer

Temple Beth Jacob is where my Judaism truly shines.
It is where I can sit on Friday evenings and holidays and pray and sing and relax and see old friends and make new ones.
It is where I can sit every Saturday morning and learn about the Torah and ponder and argue and laugh.
It is where I can send out an urgent message about the special needs of a congregant and immediately receive tons of e-mails of caring members who wish to help.
It is where I go when the homeless and needy of Newburgh are cold, or a village in Guatemala needs a school and clothing, and within a few days of my e-mail I have the lobby filled with clothing and school supplies and toothbrushes.
It is where I go when I need a delegation of "Jewish Ladies" to brighten the holidays for women with developmental disabilities who love being pampered with a beauty makeover.
It is where I go when I am down in the dumps and need a hug on Shabbat or support from a Rabbi and Cantor who truly care for their congregants.
Temple Beth Jacob is where what Judaism is all about - caring & learning & joy & prayer - comes to life...

Gail Oliver has been a member for 17 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment